These tweeds have been designed by Ali Sharman using Laura’s Loom bespoke British wool yarns. Ali and I met almost a decade ago when Ali came to learn to weave with me at Farfield Mill. We have become great friends over the years and in 2021/22 we will be working together to produce more handwoven tweed.
The tweeds shown here were all woven by Drove Weavers in Langholm. They are available as short narrow lengths. These tweeds are suitable for a variety of uses from clothing to soft furnishings such as cushions, or small accessories such as purses. They are not robust enough for upholstery but they would make beautiful bed runners or curtains if sufficiently interlined to protect the fabric from the sun.
- each tweed is approximately 55cm wide
- tweeds are available by the half metre (if you would like a full metre please select 2 lengths)
- all tweeds are woven in either 100% Bluefaced Leicester wool or in a 50/50 blend of BFL and Hebridean (indicated in the images below with an *). The blended tweed is a slightly more robust fabric.
Good to know:
- fibre: 100% British wool
- wool type: Bluefaced Leicester (* and Hebridean)
- wool source: Yorkshire Dales and Cumbria
- yarn spun by Lightowlers in Meltham, near Huddersfield
- cloth professionally finished at WT Johnson in Huddersfield
- handwash only, iron while slightly damp to remove any creases.
Ali also weaves tweeds from a wide variety of other British wool yarns, some of which she dyes herself. You can see more of her cloth on her own website.