These tweeds have been designed by Ali Sharman using Laura’s Loom bespoke British wool yarns. Ali and I met almost a decade ago when Ali came to learn to weave with me at Farfield Mill. We have become great friends over the years and in 2021/22 we will be working together to produce more handwoven tweed.
The tweeds shown here were all woven at Drove Weavers in Langholm. They are available as short narrow lengths. These tweeds are suitable for a variety of uses from clothing to soft furnishings such as cushions, or small accessories such as purses. They are not robust enough for upholstery but they would make beautiful bed runners or curtains if sufficiently interlined to protect the fabric from the sun.
- each tweed is approximately 55cm wide
- tweeds are available by the half metre (if you would like a full metre please select 2 lengths)
- all of these tweeds are woven from a mix of our Cumbrian Tweed, Bluefaced Leicester and Hebridean yarns. Tweeds woven with a Hebridean weft are indicated below with an asterisk. These tweeds have a more robust finish. Tweeds woven with a Bluefaced Leicester weft have a silkier appearance and smoother finish.
Good to know:
- fibre: 100% British wool
- wool type: Bluefaced Leicester (* and Hebridean)
- wool source: Yorkshire Dales and Cumbria
- yarn spun by Lightowlers in Meltham, near Huddersfield
- cloth professionally finished at WT Johnson in Huddersfield
- handwash only, iron while slightly damp to remove any creases.
Ali also weaves tweeds from a wide variety of other British wool yarns, some of which she dyes herself. You can see more of her cloth on her own website.